The Fully Funded University Of British Columbia Doctoral Scholarship in Canada in association with Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Fund for Advanced Studies is offering scholarships to top doctoral candidates. This scholarship is open to all. Candidates can pursue doctoral degrees in health sciences, natural sciences, engineering, social sciences, and humanities.
It is the most prestigious award available to graduate students at UBC. The Killam Scholarship and Prize Programmes were established in memory of Izaak Walton Killam through the Will of his wife, Dorothy Johnston Killam, and through gifts made during her lifetime. Their primary purpose is to support advanced education and research at five Canadian universities and the Canada Council for the Arts.
University Of British Columbia Doctoral Scholarship In Canada 2024
The eligibility criteria for the Fully Funded University Of British Columbia Doctoral Scholarship in Canada are stated below:
1. To be eligible to apply for Killam Doctoral Scholarship funding, applicants must have completed no more than 24 months of doctoral study as of the start date of the scholarship. Therefore, applicants to the 2023-2024 competition must have completed no more than 24 months of doctoral study as of 1 September 2024.
2. Research ability and potential – 50%
- Quality of research proposal
- specific, focused and feasible research question(s) and objective(s)
- clear description of the proposed methodology
- Significance and expected contributions to research
- Relevant training, such as academic training, lived experience, and traditional teachings
- Research experience and achievements relative to the applicant’s stage of study, lived experience, and knowledge systems
- Quality of contributions and extent to which they advance the field of research. Contributions may include publications, patents, reports, posters, abstracts, monographs, presentations, creative outputs, knowledge translation outputs, community products, etc.
- Demonstration of sound judgment and ability to think critically
- Demonstration of responsible and ethical research conduct, including honest and thoughtful inquiry, rigorous analysis, commitment to safety and to the dissemination of research results, and adherence to the use of professional standards
- Enthusiasm for research, originality, initiative, autonomy, relevant community involvement and outreach
- The ability or potential to communicate theoretical, technical, and/or scientific concepts clearly and logically in written and oral formats
Relevant experience and achievements obtained within and beyond academia – 50%
- Scholarships, awards, and distinctions (amount, duration, and prestige)
- Academic record:
- Duration of previous studies
- Program requirements and courses pursued
- Course load
- Relative standing in the program (if available)
- Professional, academic, and extracurricular activities as well as collaborations with supervisors, colleagues, peers, students, and members of the community, such as:
- Teaching, mentoring, supervising, and/or coaching
- managing projects
- Participating in science and/or research promotion
- Community outreach, volunteer work, and/or civic engagement
- Chairing committees and/or organizing conferences and meetings
- Participating in departmental or institutional organizations, associations, societies, and/or clubs
The Fully Funded University Of British Columbia Doctoral Scholarship in Canada will provide $30,000 per annum and a $2,000 allowance for research-related travel during the 24 months of the scholarship.
I hope you find this article helpful.