The Lagos State University (LASU) Senate, in its 305th Statutory Meeting on 28th December 2023, reviewed and endorsed vital safety guidelines for the well-being of its student body. These guidelines, originating from a paper submitted by the Acting Dean of the Students Affairs Division, are not new but re-emphasized for strict adherence.
|🎓 Campus ID
|Carry ID Cards at all times
|👗 Dress Code
|Adhere to university dress protocols
|🌜 Night Reading
|Arrive early, leave before dark
|🚌 Transport Safety
|Use designated bus stops, verify vehicle IDs
|🏠 Hostel Choice
|Stay in student-populated areas
|🚶 Group Travel
|Avoid walking alone after 8 pm
|🕵️♂️ Stay Vigilant
|Be cautious around specific locations
|🗺️ Inform Others
|Share whereabouts with peers, family
|💡 Well-Lit Areas
|Stick to these when alone, especially at night
|🚫 Stranger Caution
|Be cautious about accepting lifts
|🚫 Personal Info
|Don’t overshare on social media
|Contact LASU Monitor or emergency numbers
Essential Safety Protocols for LASU Students
Identification and Dress Code
- Wearing Identity Cards: You must wear your Identity Card at all times within campus premises and carry it with you off-campus.
- Adhering to Dress Code: The university’s dress code protocols and regulations must be followed diligently.
Night Reading Precautions
- Timely Arrival and Departure: If you’re utilizing campus facilities for night reading, ensure to arrive early and leave before visibility diminishes.
Travel and Accommodation
- Safe Commuting: When using commercial transport, use only designated bus stops and be cautious about boarding vehicles without clear identification.
- Choosing Accommodation: Opt for hostels in areas where fellow students reside for a communal sense of security.
Movement and Group Travel
- Avoiding Late Night Solitude: Walking alone outside the school gate post-8.00 pm is discouraged. Instead, moving in groups is advisable.
- Being Vigilant: Stay alert, especially around areas like First Gate, Agboroko, Iyana School, Alaba Rago, and the LASU Badagry Gate.
Communication and Social Media Conduct
- Informing Peers and Family: Always let someone know of your whereabouts when leaving home or hostels.
- Safe Walking Practices: Stick to well-lit areas when walking alone, particularly during the night.
- Privacy on Social Media: Exercise caution in sharing personal details such as your home address or phone number online.
Caution with Strangers
- Accepting Lifts: Be wary of accepting lifts from people you do not know.
In Case of Emergencies
- Emergency Contacts: In any urgent situation, you can use the LASU Monitor or contact:
- Acting Dean, Students Affairs Division: 08023273297
- Director, Health Services: 07044453888
- Chief Security Officer: 08037161006
Your Safety Is Paramount
The guidelines provided by LASU are formulated with your safety as the highest priority. Abiding by these measures will contribute significantly to ensuring a secure educational environment. Your cooperation and vigilance are essential in maintaining a safe atmosphere within and in the vicinity of the university campuses.
Remember, your safety is not just the university’s concern; it’s a shared responsibility. Stay safe, stay informed, and look out for one another. Together, let’s make LASU a model of a secure and supportive academic community.