The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN): You may be wondering, what are the requirement and procedure to register for ICAN 2020? Can I Loin ICAN without Mathematics in Waec? Your questions shall be answered today.
Before I embark on my procedures, I would quickly want to answer the question as to why you should register for ICAN. ICAN makes you globally recognised as a chartered accountant. It, therefore, becomes imperative for you to understand the requirements and how to apply for ICAN Program.
OTHERS ARE LOVING A. BEST APPS FOR JAMB, WAEC, NCEE, IJMB AND BECE B. FREE VIDEOS FOR BECE, JAMB, WAEC AND POST UTME
Qualifications You Need To Register ICAN As A Student
The followed are the qualifications for ICAN 2020:
1. Five (5) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics in the West African School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), General Certificate of Education (GCE) or Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) in not more than two sittings.
2. Ordinary National Diploma of any Polytechnic recognised by the Council of the Institute.
3. National Certificate of Education (NCE) from any College of Education.
4. Any other relevant qualification approved by the Institute.
STEPS TO REGISTER ICAN
(1) OBTAIN PIN VOUCHER FROM ZENITH/FIDELITY BANK WITH N6,000
(2) USE THE INFORMATION ON THE PIN VOUCHER TO LOG-ON ICAN WEBSITE.
(3) CLICK ON TO ATS STUDENTS’ REGISTRATION AND FILL YOUR DATA ON THE FORM.
(4) OBTAIN A COLOURED PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPH OF YOURSELF. SCAN THE PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPH ON THE FORM.
(5) CLICK TWICE ON SUBMITS TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION FORM ON-LINE.
(6) PRINT OUT A COPY OF THE APPLICATION FORM
(7) APPEND YOUR SIGNATURE ON THE PRINTED APPLICATION FORM.
(8) GET A CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT/AAT MEMBER AS YOUR REFEREE/SPONSOR.
(9) PROVIDE HIS/HER MEMBERSHIP NUMBER, NAME AND PHONE NUMBER ON THE FORM
(10) TAKE THE PRINTED COPY OF THE COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM AND THE PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR CREDENTIALS TO YOUR REFEREE/SPONSOR FOR CERTIFICATION OR ENDORSEMENT.
(11) ATTACH THE FOLLOWING:
1. PHOTOCOPY OF WASC/NECO CERTIFICATE OR COMPUTER PRINT-OUT/SCRATCH PIN VOUCHER WHERE YOU ARE USING STATEMENT OF RESULT, OND, NCE & OTHERS
2. ORIGINAL COPY OF THE PIN VOUCHER
3. TWO COPIES OF CERTIFIED PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPHS
4. THREE SELF ADDRESSED ENVELOPES WITH N50,00 STAMP AFFIXED ON EACH OF THEM.
5. PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE OR SWORN AFFIDAVIT
6. ORIGINAL COPY OF THE BANK TELLER.
(12) SUBMIT PRINT OUT COPY WITH ATTACHMENT TO STUDENTS’ EDUCATION & TRAINING DEPARTMENT AT SECRETARIAT, 82, MURTALA MOHAMMED WAY (OPPOSITE DENTON POLICE STATION) EBUTE META LAGOS CHANGE OF NAME WILL NOT BE ENTERTAINED AFTER REGISTRATION.
Recommended: Five persons you need to succeed
How To Do ICAN Registration In 2020
There are three ways you can register for ICAN. You can register as a professional student, as an Accounting Technicians Scheme West Africa (or ATSWA) student or as a member. We will talk about each procedure separately.
Recommended: How to obtain an international passport
How to register for ICAN as an ATSWA student
We have mentioned before that, in order to become an ATSWA student, you need to have five ordinary level credits in WASCE. However, there are a few other options. You can become an ATSWA student with an Ordinary National Diploma, a National Certificate of Education or with any relevant qualification that is approved by ICAN.
What you need to do in order to register:
- Go to any Nigerian commercial bank and pay the examination fee of ₦6,000 (not including bank charges) via Pay Direct. Alternatively, follow this link to pay the fee online.
- After paying the fee, go to the website indicated on your receipt and continue the registration process by filling out the form.
- Get a coloured passport-format photo of yourself. Scan it and add to the registration form. Print the finished application form and sign it.
- Find a chartered accountant sponsor/referee and provide their name, membership number and contact number.
- Take your completed application to your sponsor/referee so that they can certify it.
- Your application will not be complete without the copy of your WASC certificate, the PIN voucher, two certified copies of passport photos, three empty envelopes with your address and ₦50,00 stamp on each of them, a copy of your birth certificate and the original of the bank teller.
- Once you have collected all that, you have to submit a completed application with all of the attachments to the Department of students’ education and training at 82 Murtala Mohammed Way, Ebute Meta, Lagos.
- After that, your registration will be complete. You can check your Exam/Financial Status on I can site
What is ICAN Website? ICAN Website is www.icanig.org
How to register for ICAN as a Professional student
As we have said before, you need to hold at least a bachelor’s degree or a Higher National Diploma to be eligible for this option.
In addition, there is a list of approved qualifications that also count towards your eligibility. For the full list, click here. In order to register as a professional student, you will need to perform the following steps:
Go to any commercial bank in Nigeria and pay the professional examination registration fee of ₦7,000 (not including any charges) via Pay Direct.
You can also pay on the ICAN website. Click here to get transported to the page. After you have paid the fee, go to the website indicated on your receipt and register there.
Get a coloured passport-format photo of yourself. Scan it and add to the registration form. Print the finished application form and sign it.
Find a chartered accountant sponsor/referee and provide their name, membership number and contact number.
Take your completed application to your sponsor/referee so that they can certify it.
If you are registering using your AAT results, you will also need to pay ₦23,500 for induction/conference and add the receipt to your application.
In addition to that, you will need to attach the original PIN voucher, original Pay Direct receipt and two certified copies of passport photos.
After that, your registration will be complete. You can check your Exam/Financial Status on ICAN page. If you have any questions or problems, you can send an e-mail to [email protected]
How to Register to Become an ICAN Member
In order to become a member of ICAN, you need to be a qualified accountant with working experience. If you are an Accounting graduate, you need three years of experience.
If you have a diploma in another discipline or you are a member of the AAT, you need 4 years of experience.
Here are the steps you need to take in order to become a member:
Go to any Nigerian commercial bank and pay the Induction fee of ₦90,000. Get a receipt for your payment and go to the ICAN website (www.icanonline-ngr.com/paydirect).
In the required fields type in the numbers of your deposit slip and receipt. You will receive a generated PIN and serial number.
On the registration page, type in your Student Registration Number, serial number and the PIN.
Fill in the form and upload a good quality passport-format photo of yourself. Submit your application.
Print out the completed form and get your referees to sign it. Attach the documents you can find at this link.
Submit the finished form and the evidence of payment to ICAN, Plot 16, Idowu Taylor Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is ICAN?
Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, or ICAN for short is the biggest accounting body in Nigeria and was established in 1965. It was meant to determine the skills and knowledge required for anyone to become an accountant, as well as establish and maintain the registry of associates, fellows and accountants.
2. How Does ICAN Exam Look Like?
ICAN Nigeria offers two types of exams. The first type is professional examinations, and it is meant for the holders of bachelor’s degrees or Higher National Diplomas in any discipline and holders of ICAN AAT qualification.
The second type is the Accounting Technician Scheme exams. This one is for those who have obtained five Ordinary Level credits (Mathematics and English included) at two sittings or less.
Approved Universities, Poly And Colleges For ICAN In 2020
THE INSTITUTE OF CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS OF NIGERIA ICAN UPDATED ACCREDITATED TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS.
Note: Students who graduated after the sessions covered in the accreditation from the Institutions highlighted in ”˜RED’ will no longer enjoy exemption benefits until the accreditation is revalidated.
The File below contain the list of ICAN Approced schools in Nigeria.
Recommended: How to study for long hours
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?