So many persons have been asking the question, What is the Jamb new book (In Dependence) all about and how do I get the summary of the book? That what I am about to treat here.
The summary of the book ‘In Dependence’ below will really be of great help to you. However, I don’t think you should read the Jamb IN DEPENDENCE summary only to prepare for your UTME. Try to get the hard copy of the novel. Happy reading…..
SUMMARY OF THE BOOK “IN DEPENDENCE”
Tayo Ajayi, a Nigerian, and Vanessa Richardson, an English lady, had their affair boiling when it began, however as circumstances have been meant to intervene, the connection went sore and it appeared nothing may ever carry them collectively.
The book (In dependence) has characters that behaved in like-patterns, like within the case of Tayo’s pal, Yusuf, who had dated tons of white English women.
He (Yusuf) ended up marrying a Nigerian Lady as predicted (Yusuf knew what he needed and appeared to get it).
Tayo additionally ended up the identical method in as a lot as his affair with Vanessa Richardson had been gleaming, though he had been out of the error of getting a younger lady (Miriam) pregnant.
And speaking of sample, the novel’s (In dependence) starting had opened up introducing Tayo’s affair with Christine, a Nigerian Igbo woman.
One would suppose that Manyika needed to finish Tayo’s relationship with Christine for the sake of bringing in Vanessa into Tayo’s life, however nonetheless, Tayo needed to find yourself marrying Miriam. And nonetheless the wedding failed, giving in to the acquainted sample.
Good News! Get The Offers Below For Free:
- Download Over 13,000 Hot Jamb Questions
- Follow My Jamb, Blogging, Waec & Neco Tutorials
- Get All Waec Past Questions With Flashlearners App
- Practice Waec & Jamb Questions Online
Miriam in Manyika’s novel (In dependence) represented the breeds of the Nigerians that may all the time run away to reside overseas because of the collapsing picture of their dwelling nation.
Miriam went away together with her daughter leaving Tayo behind. In as a lot as she persuaded Tayo, he wouldn’t go. She didn’t like an inconveniencing life. She needed the perfect life for her daughter.
Tayo, on the opposite facet represented the crude breeds of Nigerians that felt dwelling was dwelling despite the fact that the nation was boiling in corruption. In as a lot because the failure of the nation stared firmly at his face with daggers, he selected to remain.
In direction of the late pages of the novel he needed to depart the nation underneath threatening circumstances towards his life from the ruling navy regime.
The complete novel is informed from the great days of Nigeria’s independence down into the nineties. I applaud Manyika’s ink, right here. In as a lot because the setting of this novel floated by way of England, Senegal, USA, and France, she was ready to make use of her third eye to attract out Nigeria’s journey into the more serious lanes of corruption, and hopelessness.
Religion is one other situation that Manyika (In dependence) handled. It didn’t matter to her if one was a Muslim or Christian.
Studying by way of this novel, one couldn’t inform if Tayo got here from a Muslim or Christian household however we did know he embraced extra of the Christian religion.
She didn’t level out the difficulties of inter-religious marriages within the novel (In dependence), however centred extra on the difficulties of interracial marriage.
Throughout Tayo’s life as an element time lecturer in Sans Francisco, the creator used a scene to unbolt some deeper points of racism.
She identified the racist ties between the African American and the pure African. These points she raised apply in all places even inside Nigerians.
A Yoruba would check with an Igbo as a grasping cash monger and doubtful monster, and in flip the Igbo would check with the Yoruba as a unclean, loquacious and silly character who spend all he earns on events and alcohol.
It needed to be understood that racism was one these existences that may reside for a very long time so far as misunderstanding between folks existed.
I captured traces which are coated with humour on this novel, however might be referred to as racial remarks. Younger black Yusuf got here clear in his dialog with Tayo. He mentioned white ladies have been for intercourse treats whereas black ladies have been for respectable relationships that would result in marriage.
He added white lady regarded so previous when she turned thirty.
The worst racist on this e-book (In dependence) is Vanessa’s father who was a one time colonial grasp in Nigeria earlier than 1960.
He was towards Tayo marrying his daughter, and had refused to just accept Vanessa’s adopted half-cast son. He appeared extra racial towards half-casts earlier within the novel (In dependence) confronting Tayo about his fears for a half-cast grandchild.
It was later understood that his hatred for the blacks was consequently of an affair his spouse had with a black man through the colonial period.
Manyika, whose image reveals she is probably half-cast, was capable of make a degree right here. She drew a distinction between being black and being a half-cast (brown). This could have been fairly a storm for her to jot down about as a result of of the racial wind towards the brown folks residing in whitely dominated areas.
In distinction to a pure black nation, half-casts are seen lovely which Manyika didn’t level out. In reality within the black continent, the standard black man could really feel inferior to a half-cast.
Manyika was additionally capable of painting the polemic assault Nigerians obtain from all over the world nowadays. She didn’t carry this to print however the picture was represented, and I needed to determine it out. I can say it clouds across the ache felt every time an IELTS or TOEFL examination is required earlier than a Nigerian may research overseas. This doesn’t exclude a masters’ diploma. Does the world suppose Nigerians converse Latin or Greek or some sort of language referred to as ‘Nigerian’?
‘I said I haven’t heard you converse Nigerian,’ Joyce says.
Joyce is one of Manyika’s English characters. And I like the way in which Yusuf replies this. ‘Nobody speaks Nigerian, you daft thing,’.
A coincidence on this novel which I refuse to just accept was the scene during which Vanessa had simply come throughout one of her finest music, Hugh Maskela, a music that reminded her of Nelson Mandela and on the same day, not even up to two hours if I could rightly predict, her white husband is presenting her with ‘Long Walk to Freedom’, Nelson Mandela’s biography.
What a coincidence! I additionally don’t embrace the truth that Manyika noticed hope for Nigeria by way of the eyes of Tayo solely when Abacha died. There are nonetheless Abacha loyalists in Nigeria as we speak who will discover this offending. She ought to have saved the road in a riddle.
Vanessa did meet with Tayo on the finish of the novel, nevertheless it was laborious to foretell if in any respect a love relationship was ignited between them. Vanessa was nonetheless married, however Tayo wasn’t. Manyika maintained a non-adulterous plight between the 2 right here. The happy-ending-formula which most romance writers adapt was by some means blurring within the novel.
SOME IMPORTANT CHARACTERS OF THE BOOK “IN DEPENDENCE”
- Omotayo Oluwakayode Ajayi also known as TY.
- Inspector Adeniyi Ajayi : Tayo’s father who was once a court servant and an interpreter in the native administration before joining the police.
- Mr Jonathan Richardson: Father of Venessa.
- Mrs Elizabeth Richardson: Mother of Venessa.
- Mr Edward Maximilian Barker: The one who welcomed Omotayo prior to the letter given to Tayo by Mr Faircliff.
- Headmaster Faircliff: Tayo’s Headmaster.
- Mr Clark: Tayo’s Mathematics Teacher.
- Mr Blackburn: British empire history teacher.
- Bisi and Remi: Siblings of Tayo.
- Modupe: Tayo’s Lover before going to Oxford at age 19.
- Uncle Bolu also known as Uncle B: Tayo’s uncle who loved drinking and women. And women also loved him in return.
- Uncle Oluwakayode Ogundipe: A Big Man in Lagos, who lived in a luxurious, a senior army officer before leaving for France to study Engineering. He was able to meet Venessa.
- Helen: Uncle Kayode’s wife.
- Aunty Bayo: Former girl friend of Uncle Kayode.
- Mr Lekan Olajide from Ogbomoso on a voyage.
- Mr Ibrahim Mohammed from Kaduna on a voyage
- Mrs Isabella Barker: An attractive young Italian woman who preferred to be called “Isabella”.
- Mr Ike Nwade: A student of History.
- Mr Bolaji Ladipupo: A Law student.
- Miss Christine Arinze: A student of Modern language who later became Tayo’s girlfriend but had a misunderstanding with Tayo because he didn’t want a longtime relationship. She later on had Ike has her boyfriend. She died of drug overdose (Suicide).
- Christopher Okigbo: A poet and Omotayo’s teacher.
- Venessa Richardson”aka Moremi by Tayo to show her fighting spirit”: Tayo’s white Lady lover.
- Gita from Kenya: An English student.
- Pat: A Physicist.
- Jane: A Friend to Venessa a physicist also (whites).
- Charlie and Mehul: (whites)
- Simon: The president of west African Student.
- Francis: From Ghana who was with the idea that independence came far too early for africans
- Maynes Keynes: Venessa’s grandpa was in the colonial service Juma and Saratu? Are they cats?
- Lord Lugard: was once the governor of Hong kong before coming to Nigeria and he also became our governor in the year 1914
- Nancy Murdoch and Mr Murdoch.
- Uncle Tony: who had s*x with Jane.
- Madam Pagnole.
- Chinua Achebe: things fall apart and No longer at Ease.
- Nkrumah: The first president of Ghana and Senghor of Senegal Kenyatt.
- Tunde: the cousin of Tayo who works in the bakery.
- Yusuf Abubakar: who works in the hospital. HE believed white women were only meant for friendship but not for marriage with his genuine reasons.
- Joyce: Yusuf’s white girlfriend who said he hasn’t heard Yusuf speak Nigerian before and then Yusuf replied her: you daft one, no one speaks Nigerian.
- Mr and Mrs winter: across the road at Bradley
- Joy Williams: The black WOMAN Yusuf got married to.
- Anais Nin: The first British erotic writer.
- Nigerian coup d’etat and Biafran war.
- Salamatou: an hairstylist in Dakar, Senegal who died in a motor accident
- Jean Luc: A French who had promised to marry Salamatou but ran away after he got to know she was pregnant.
- Miriam: A nurse, whom treated Tayo’s father and got pregnant for Tayo. Got married to Tayo and gave birth to Kemi.
- Kemi: Daughter of Tayo and Miriam
- President Shagari.
- Mr Akin: A carver.
- Wole Soyinka: Okri the Booker.
- Aureol: SHIPPING COMPANY.
- Dogun Dutse Mobile station.
- Samir: From Bradford.
- Suleiman: Salamatou’s son hence Venessa’s adopted son. A Muslim he became and a drop out from Cambridge.
- Abdou: The driver who was taken Tayo to the airport before an accident occur.
- Laurent: Kemi’s boyfriend.
- Danjuma: The gardener.
- Professor John Harris: He is the man whom Kemi introduced to his father from the University.
READ ALSO: How To Survive The Recent Jamb CBT Issue
Score 350+ In Jamb 2018: Download Flashlearners Jamb CBT APP To Get Over 13,000 Likely Questions
I Have Started Sending Daily Hot Updates! Enter Your Email To Subscribe
I Started This Blog As A Passion, With The Vision To Inspire & Empower Young Persons; Helping Them Realise & Maximise their Potentials. You May Click Here To Roll With Me On Instagram @Officialflashisaac.
Latest posts by Isaac Inegbenehi (see all)
- Jamb 2018 Exam Date And Everything You Need To Know Right Now - February 21, 2018
- How You Can Finally Fall In Love With Mathematics - February 21, 2018
- How To Customize The Picture Of Your Future - February 21, 2018