As an aspiring or established African writer, the AKO Caine Prize for African Writing 2024 presents an unparalleled opportunity to showcase your work on an international stage. This prestigious prize, a beacon for African literature, is dedicated to elevating African writing to global prominence. It’s not just an award; it’s a celebration of literary excellence that bridges the gap between African writers and a worldwide audience. Whether you’re a writer, a publisher, or a literary enthusiast, this blog post will guide you through the essentials of the Caine Prize and how you can participate in this esteemed literary event.
The AKO Caine Prize For African Writing 2024
|🌍 Prize Overview
|£10,000 for winner, £500 for shortlisted writers
|Published short stories from African writers
|📚 Story Criteria
|3,000-10,000 words, published between April 2019-March 2024
|By publishers only, multiple entries allowed
|Self-published, unpublished, non-fiction, other genres
|March 31, 2024
|📩 How to Apply
|Email submissions as PDF or online link
|Promote African writing, connect writers with a global audience
What the Prize Entails
The Caine Prize for African Writing is more than just an award; it’s a comprehensive package that celebrates and supports African writers:
- Cash Prize: The winner receives a substantial amount of £10,000, while four shortlisted writers each receive £500.
- Public Recognition: Shortlisted writers are invited to London for a series of public events, showcasing their work to a global audience.
- Annual Workshop: Writers from the judges’ longlist get the opportunity to attend a workshop in an African country, fostering further development of their craft.
Caine Prize for African Writing Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for the Caine Prize, you must adhere to the following:
- Publication Window: Your story should be published between April 1, 2019, and March 25, 2024.
- Word Count: Entries must be between 3,000 and 10,000 words.
- Publisher Submission: Entries must be submitted by a publisher, encompassing various forms from physical books to digital platforms.
- Age Requirement: Writers must be over 18 years of age at the time of submission.
- One-Time Entry: A story can only be entered once for the Prize.
- Excluded Genres: The Prize does not accept novels, children’s stories, factual writing, academic essays, plays, poetry, autobiography/biography, or non-fiction.
Caine Prize for African Writing Submission Requirements
Publishers need to provide the following in a ‘publisher’s letter’:
- Writer’s Details: Name, qualifying nationality, and word count of each story.
- Consent Confirmation: Acknowledgment of the writer’s consent for submission.
Caine Prize for African Writing Application Process
- Submission Format: Stories must be submitted as a PDF attachment or via a link if published online.
- Email: Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, ensuring ‘The Caine Prize for African Writing Entry for 2024‘ is in the email subject.
Further Information and Deadline
For more detailed information, please visit the Caine Prize for African Writing website.
Important Date: The submission deadline is March 31, 2024. Ensure your entries are submitted well before this date.
In conclusion, the AKO Caine Prize for African Writing is not just an award; it’s a platform that propels African stories into the global literary arena. It’s a chance for African writers to gain international recognition and contribute to the rich tapestry of African literature. If you’re a writer or publisher with a story that resonates with the vibrancy and diversity of African experiences, this is your call to action. Submit your entries for the Caine Prize 2024 and be a part of a legacy that celebrates and uplifts African writing.
I hope you find this article helpful.