University of Nigeria (UNN) has release her 2022/2023 departmental cutoff marks. Notice on the just released UNN departmental cutoff marks was made known to the general public through some reliable sources in the institution.
In light of the information, student who took the just concluded UNN post UTME screening should scroll below this page and check the cutoff mark for their courses.
NOTE: The University of Nigeria does not publish departmental cutoff marks on its website anymore. The reason for this is unknown. However, all the faculties in the school still release cutoff marks locally for aspirants to see. Only students who are inside the school can verify this. Thus, do not expect to see the cutoff mark here in the official UNN website. We get all our information from a reliable source in the university.
Important Notice: Based on the current strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), of which UNN is part of, school activities in the school has been on hold for the past 4 – 6 months now. This means that both the staff in charge of giving admission in UNN is currently on strike.
The university has not released her departmental cutoff marks for 2023/2024 academic session. UNN Cutoff Marks may not be officially released until the strike is over so that the school can accommodate more students.
For those who do not actually know what UNN cutoff mark is all about; it is the stipulated score fixed by the management of UNN for admitting students into the faculties and departments of the Institution. If you are not able to meet up to the cutoff mark by UNN for the year, then you have a slim chance of getting admitted into the university.
Kindly watch my video below for more details about JAMB and University cutoff mark in Nigeria. Trust me; you really need to know this!
Table of Contents
Is UNN Cutoff Mark for 2023/2024 Out?
No! The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) has not yet released her departmental cutoff marks for 2023/2024 Session. Apparently, the school will release it few weeks after her post UTME examination has been written.
Candidates who applied for admission into UNN this year are advised to exercise patience and study hard to get good JAMB and Post UTME scores so they can beat the university’s cutoff mark for the year.
Meanwhile, if you wish to see UNN JAMB and departmental cutoff marks for the previous year (2022) kindly scroll below this page.
UNN General JAMB cutoff mark for Admission 2023/2024
Currently, UNN JAMB cutoff mark is 180. This is actually the least score anyone can get to gain admission into UNN this year. It is important to note that even after JAMB releases her official cutoff for universities later this year, the above will still stand because federal schools are at liberty to decide their cutoff in this case.
While this is the general rule on cutoff marks, it is worthwhile to note that some faculties in the university may still increase their own cutoff mark (depending on number of aspirations each year). For example, even after scoring 180, it will be impossible to gain admission for courses like Law, Nursing, Medicine or Pharmacy in UNN. The reason is because, these courses are highly competitive course and it will be unwise to give someone with such a score admission when there are millions of aspirants with better score.
UNN Departmental Cutoff Marks For 2022/2023 Academic Session
Note: The cutoff marks marked VERIFIED below are those that have been confirmed by our researchers for this year’s admission.
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
- Agric Economics – 227
- Agric Extension – 201
- Animal Science – 202
- Crop Science – 206
- Soil Science – 205
- Fst – 227
- Home Science – 200
- Nutrition and Dietetics – 247
FACULTY OF ARTS
- Archaeology & Tourism – 200
- English and Literary Studies – 271.22 (VERIFIED)
- Fine and Applied Arts – 260
- Foreign Languages – 200
- History and International Studies – 260.66 (VERIFIED)
- Linguistics and Nigerian Languages – 225
- Mass Communication –256
- Music – 256.33 (VERIFIED)
- Theatre and Film Studies – 250 (VERIFIED)
- Combined Arts – 201
FACULTY OF LAW
- Law – 296.5 (VERIFIED)
FACULTY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
- Medicine – 322.33 (VERIFIED)
FACULTY OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES
- Pharmacy – 303 (VERIFIED)
FACULTY OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- Accountancy – 256 (VERIFIED)
- Banking & Finance – 248 (VERIFIED)
- Marketing – 232 (VERIFIED)
- Business Management – 233
FACULTY OF DENTISTRY
- Dentistry – 270 (VERIFIED)
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
- Agric & Bioresources Engineering – 204
- Civil Engineering – 258 (VERIFIED)
- Electrical Engineering – 258 (VERIFIED)
- Electronics – 232
- Mechanical Engineering – 260 (VERIFIED)
FACULTY OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
- Biochemistry – 248
- Botany – 198
- Combined Biological Sciences – 210
- Microbiology – 235
- Zoology – 207
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
- Adult Education – 200
- Education Art – 251
- Education Chemistry – 203
- Education Social Sciences – 245
- Agric Education – 205
- Business Education – 220
- Guidance & Counselling – 263
- Health Education – 206
- Home Economics Education – 229
- Industrial Technical Education – 236
- Library and Information Science – 225
- Science Education – 200
FACULTY OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
- Architecture – 226 (VERIFIED)
- Estate Management – 201.66 (VERIFIED)
- Geoinformatics & Survey – 203.22 (VERIFIED)
- Urban and Regional Planning – 200 (VERIFIED)
FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCE &TECHNOLOGY
- Radiography – 282.5 (VERIFIED)
- Medical Rehabilitation – 256 (VERIFIED)
- Nursing – 291 (VERIFIED)
FACULTY OF PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- Computer Science – 236
- Geology – 234
- Mathematics – 200
- Physics And Astronomy – 200
- Pure And Industrial Chemistry – 232
- Statistics – 201
- Computer/Statistics – 200
FACULTY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE
- Veterinary Medicine – 245 (VERIFIED)
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
- Economics – 260
- Geography – 217
- Philosophy – 244
- Political Science – 250
- Psychology – 252
- Public Administration – 266
- Religion – 232
- Social Work – 213
- Sociology/Anthropology – 260
How TO CALCULATE UNN POST-UTME AGGREGATE
To calculate your UNN post UTME aggregate score, it is important to note that both JAMB and POST UTME must be considered. JAMB takes 60% while POST UTME takes 40%.
First, you have to multiply your JAMB Score by 0.6. After getting the answer, write it down somewhere.
Accordingly, multiply your POST-UTME Score by 0.4 and write down the answer.
Lastly add the results of the calculations you made above and that is your UNN POST UTME aggregate.
To understand this better, lets take for instance;
Uche scored 256 in JAMB UTME examination and 314 in post UTME examination, to calculate his aggregate, he is expected to combine His JAMB UTME and Post UTME score. Conversely, Uche’s UNN aggregate will be = 279.
UNN General Admission Requiments
It is pertinent to note that the University of Nigeria does not only consider cutoff marks when offering admission. For UTME candidates, below are the admission requirements for 2022/2023:
- Candidates must have attained the age of 16 when the admission is offered to them.
- Candidates must have at least 5 (five) Credits in their O’level result to be offered admission. Your O’level result can be your WAEC, NECO, GCE or NABTEB result.
- Candidate must score at least 160 in JAMB UTME examination to be offered admission.
- UTME candidate must take part in UNN Post UTME screening with good score to be offered admission
- Lastly, UTME candidates must meet the stipulated cutoff mark for their courses to be offered admission.
Notice on Merit, Catchment areas and Educationally Less Developed State (ELDS) Admission
Apparently UNN is a federal university in Nigeria and it must always follow federal guidelines when admitting students despite the above cutoff marks. In light of that, UNN admission for 2022/2023 session will be given as follows:
- 45% Merit
- 35% Catchment and
- 20% Educationally Less Developed States (ELDS)
Admission on merit
Candidates with very high scores in UTME, Post UTME and passed the university’s cutoff mark each year are given first consideration for their first choice of course in their institution of choice before other candidates.
Forty-five percent (45%) of the available admission space are reserved for such applicants. This implies that if you are brilliant and can pass on merit, you already have 45% chance of gaining admission into UNN.
The aim of UNN catchment area admission is actually to give equal opportunity to all applicants. It allows students from other parts of the country (not only the east) to apply for admission into the university and gain admission. But it should be noted that not all the states in Nigeria are part of UNN catchment area.
According of the admission guidelines of the federal government (under the Nigerian Universities Commission, NUC), 35% of the available admission space in every tertiary institution should be reserved for applicants from the catchment areas of such institutions.
This means that if you apply to a university to whose catchment area you belong, you stand 35% chance of being admitted.
Educationally Less Developed States (ELDS)
Certain states are considered as Educationally Less developed or disadvantaged. The following states are:
Candidates from these states are given special concession for admission. Usually, the general cutoff for admission does not apply to candidates from ELDS.
Is it possible to gain admission into UNN without meeting the Cutoff mark?
Well, there are many students in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) currently who didn’t meet the cut off mark requirements listed above. This is Nigeria and you should know that, often times, a person’s connection or financial capacity can help him/her pass certain requirements without struggling for it.
Nonetheless, on a fair basis, if you don’t meet the institution’s cutoff mark for any year, you may may not be able to gain admission for that year except you have an upper hand. UNN releases so many admission list after the first batch. There is the second list, third list and sometimes even forth admission list. In all, it take only luck to gain admission into UNN without meeting the university’s admission cutoff marks.
What to do if You Did Not Meet the Required UNN Cutoff Mark
UNN is one of the most difficult schools to gain admission in Nigeria. From the departmental cutoff marks above, you don’t need anyone to tell you that the university is truly competitive in nature.
In light of this, many students end up not meeting the university’s cutoff mark requirements for the year. But there are some options available if you find yourself in this situation.
1. Apply for UNN shopping form: This is undoubtedly the best thing to do if you did not meet the requirement for your course. UNN shopping form is simply a form sold at N3,000 by the university management that allows applicants to change their course in situations where they are unable to meet the requirements of their dream course.
It is important to note that UNN shopping form is limited to some courses. Take for instance, applicants cannot purchase shopping form for courses like Law, Medicine and Surgery, Pharmacy and other top university courses.
2. Wait for supplementary admission list: Another option is for you to pray and wait for the institution to release her supplementary admission list. Usually, students who performed very well in their JAMB & Post UTME are admitted through this list. If you are among the ELS of UNN, you might also be considered for admission.
3. Change the course or university: Change the course or university to another school that accepts a lower cutoff mark is another way to gain admission into tertiary institutions even if you don’t meet the university’s cutoff mark. All you have to do is to apply for JAMB change of course and institution form which is just N2500 only.
4. Apply next year: The last option available to you is just to apply for admission next year. Actually, this is a bad option but you can’t kill yourself if UNN refuses to offer you admission. Study harder and prepare for admission next year.
This is where I am going to end for now. Above are the departments in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) and their cutoff marks. I personally advise every student that intends to gain admission into UNN this year, to go through the university’s cutoff marks carefully because it is one of the important requirements the university checks before offering admission to aspirants. Don’t forget to subsequently check this web page to know when more will be verified.