Some are asking when 5G will reach Nigeria while others are wondering if 5G Network is already in Nigeria. Now, the first country to adopt 5G on a large scale was South Korea, in April 2019. Commercial 5G has now reached over 39 countries in the World. However, 5G has not reached Nigeria.
You might have heard that MTN and Airtel are currently planting 5G facilities in Lagos, Calabar, Abuja and other states. Demo 5G is only what is currently being tested in Nigeria. Real 5G Network may be approved in Nigeria before the end of the year 2021.
GET JAMB CBT APP 2022 » Over 16,000 Jamb Questions Offline » Competition To Win N30,000 » All Jamb Literature Novels » Jamb English Novel "The Life Changer" » Free Video Classes For All Topics
A report on 5G in Africa by GSMA, a global trade organization for mobile operators, estimates that only seven African countries, including South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya, will have commercial 5G by 2025.
The meaning of 5G Network is Fifth-Generation Network. The fifth generation Network (5G) is ten times faster than 4G, 3G and 2G. The radio waves involved in 5G sits on the low-frequency end of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is less powerful than visible light and 5G is therefore not strong enough to damage cells.
Recommended: Meaning Of The LTE After 4G
Phones like the Samsung Galaxy S20 and Huawei P40 Pro already support 5G Network. Apple iPhone 12 is rumoured to be a 5G enabled phone too. 5G uses radio waves to transmit and receive data between an antenna or mast and your 5G phone.
Experts dismiss claims that 5G wireless technology created coronavirus. However, so many Nigerians still believe that Coronarius is not real and 5G is the real problem and the cause of deaths around the world. Choose whether to believe experts or still follow conspiracy theories.
Top Facts About 5G In Nigeria
- 5G Network doesn’t cause Coronavirus
- It is not the reason for increased Coronavirus cases in Nigeria.
- There is a difference between Radiowaves and Radioactivity. 5G is just a radio Wave.
- The wavelength of 5G is very small compared to x-rays and gamma Rays.
- 5G doesn’t alter your DNA. But x-rays could if exposure is too long. Gamma Rays will always alter.
- MTN Nigeria demoed 5G network in November 2019.
- Most African countries, including Nigeria, are yet to assign 5G spectrum.
- Nigeria and other countries that don’t have 5G still have coronavirus cases
- The radio waveband used for mobile networks is non-ionising, “which means it lacks sufficient energy to break apart DNA and cause cellular damage.
- Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) plans 5G to roll out in 2020.
- Although 5G was approved for trial in Nigeria in 2019, Pantami said the government will not act on the speculations about the network.
- “The possible side-effects of 5G are the same as 4G, 3G, 2G, Wi-Fi; all these wireless communication technologies use EM waveform that radiates energy,” Fabien Heliot said.
- During a comparison test on both 4G and 5G networks, it took just 15.78 seconds to download a 2.3 GB video on the 5G network. The same file on 4G took exactly 5 minutes, 3.84 seconds.
- Some Nigerians believe that The disadvantages of the 5G are far worse than it’s advantages
- There is a belief that 5G is the beginning of the mark 666 a small microchip that will be inserted hand or forehead to control the brain, blood and many other things in the body.
- 5G relies on higher radio frequencies than earlier mobile technology. These can’t travel as far other frequencies so 5G networks need a denser network of base stations or masts. 5G technology requires a lot of masts.
5G Network in Africa
Vodacom Group, which was the first to introduce 4G, 3G, and 2G in South Africa, is at it again with the release of a 5G trial in Lesotho in August 2018. They showcased a fixed wireless access (FWA) network using a temporary license in the 3.5 GHz band.
Rain is another South African telecom that’s rolling out 5G. From November 11, 2019 and onward, Rain customers can access the 5G network from home in parts of Johannesburg and Tshwane, with more areas becoming available throughout 2020. Check 5G coverage in South Africa with the Rain coverage map.
MTN Group Limited partnered with Ericsson in November 2018, to deploy a fixed wireless access 5G site in Midrand. Although MTN South African hasn’t announced a 5G release that, the trials and tests they’ve performed shows that they’re interested in developing 5G applications and might one day offer customers a 5G network.
Recommended: 5 Persons you need to be successful