In National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), CDS Stands for Community Development Service. It is a service you render to your host community outside your Place of Primary Assignment (PPA). CDS is your Place of Secondary Assignment.
The NYSC CDS takes place once a week. All Corpers are to assemble at their Local Government Area (LGA) for CDS. You’re free to Choose CDS or Change your CDS Day. Community Development Service (CDS) is compulsory; don’t miss it.
When it comes to the National Youth Service Corps, there are four major Programmes:
- NYSC Orientation (Camping)
- Place of Primary Assignment (PPA)
- Community Development Service (CDS)
- Winding Up/Passing Out Parade (POP)
How many hours is CDS? CDS at the Local Government Area starts from 8 AM to 12 PM. It is safe to say that CDS lasts for 4 hours. However, there are usually delay in signing attendance for some areas.
10 Reasons For CDS In NYSC
- To enable Corps members improve their host community.
- Providing on-the-job training and experience for corpers.
- To help corpers develop business skills.
- Instil in youth corpers the tradition of dignity in labour and productivity.
- Build Corp members capacities for leadership, endurance, selflessness, creativity and patriotism,
- To make corps members understand various traditions and customs of the host community.
- Help underprivileged populations learn basic techniques for self-help.
- To encourage the use of local raw materials in the execution of projects
- Harness the talents and skills of corpers to change rural communities for good.
- Complement activities of government at all levels towards national development.
18 Examples of CDS Groups in NYSC
The following are NYSC CDS Groups you can Join:
- Charity and Gender
- Culture and Tourism
- Dance and Drama
- Education Development
- Environmental Sanitation
- Federal Road Safety Corp
- Freedom of Information Act
- Legal Aid
- Medical and Health
- National Emergency Management
- Sustainable Development Goad (SDG)
Apart from the group CDS which takes place once a week except for clearance weeks, you can do Personal/Individual Community Development Service. During NYSC clearance, not CDS for that week.