Programming, also known as coding or software development, is the process of writing instructions (code) for a computer or other computing devices to perform specific tasks. It involves using programming languages to communicate with computers and create software applications, websites, games, and more.As technology continues to advance, programming has become a vital skill in various industries. Fortunately, there is no shortage of resources available for aspiring programmers. In 2023, numerous websites offer free and high-quality programming tutorials and courses. This article presents the top 15 websites where you can access an array of programming resources without spending a dime. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced coder looking to expand your skills, these websites are sure to cater to your learning needs.
Even if you don’t work in web development, learning to code may help you improve your company performance and build abilities like logical thinking and problem-solving. Knowing how to code is much more vital if you’re a designer. Basic programming expertise helps you to work more efficiently with developers.
Top 15 Best Websites to Learn Programming/Coding For Free 2023
1. GitHub: GitHub is the largest open-source community and the world’s top software development platform. For developers and engineers, it is one of the most significant tools. GitHub’s Git repository hosting service has a large number of free books covering over 80 different programming languages, making it a fantastic location to learn how to code. You may also share your code with your colleagues if you’re a developer.
Github now has over 3.5 million users. It is the finest website for beginners to learn how to code.
a. Several projects
b. Books about programming that are completely free
c. There is a lot of open-source code.
d. LinkedIn and other social media networks may be integrated.
It’s worth noting that Codecademy offers learners a new approach to learning (it’s interactive, exciting, and you can study coding with your friends), allowing them to learn to code more enjoyably and engagingly.
a. Personalized learning strategy
b. Multiple languages are available.
3. Treehouse: In the web development community, Treehouse is well-known, particularly as a place to learn to code for free. There are currently over 1,000 high-quality films available on topics ranging from web design to website development to entrepreneurship.
Beginners may learn at their speed and pick from a variety of coding languages for all levels, from elementary to advanced, thanks to Treehouse. Treehouse will lead you through the full learning process if you’re interested in coding but don’t know where to begin.
a. Tutorial videos for advanced users
b. Its user interface includes tracks and roadmaps
4. Udemy: Udemy is a web-based learning site with 80,000 online coding courses, including web programming, UX design, UI design, and iOS development. Courses are available to students primarily to enhance job-related skills. Some of the courses are free, while others have a price associated with them.
You can locate a good instructor and certain classes that are particularly customized to your requirements on Udemy.
a. Communication within the community
b. There are several free programming courses available.
5. Coursera: Coursera is a free online learning platform developed by Stanford professors Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller. Coursera collaborates with the world’s best colleges and educational institutions to provide over 1,000 courses from 119 different schools.
Top teachers from Coursera’s partner educational institutions teach the courses. Learners may access the courses at any time and from any location. Course completion is recognized with an electronic course certificate. Python, Java, HTML and CSS, and C language are some of the topics covered on Coursera.
a. Best courses in programming
b. Coursera certification is provided.
c. Lectures from experts
6. Khan Academy: Khan Academy is a non-profit informational website where, among other things, you may learn to code. Salman Khan, a teacher, founded the platform in 2006 intending to provide a personalized learning experience based mostly on YouTube videos.
It is among the finest locations to learn how to code because there are so many coding courses and tools available to help students improve their programming abilities. All courses are taught by specialists, and you may find courses for all skill levels, from beginner to advanced.
a. Lectures by experts
b. Resources for personalized learning
c. Exercises, educational videos, and a customizable learning interface are all available.
a. All of the courses are completely free.
b. Online help in the form of a forum
c. Provides helpful resources
d. At certain phases, it provides tutorials (from beginner to advanced)
8. EdX: EdX is among the most popular online learning systems available today. It was founded in April 2012 by MIT and Harvard University to provide high-quality education to everyone on the planet. It provides students access to hundreds of free programming courses taught by actual academics at genuine universities. HTML and CSS, Java, jQuery, C++, Python, and more are just a few of the programming languages you may study.
a. High-quality coding courses with a certificate of completion
9. FreeCodeCamp: You learn to code by completing practice activities and practical tasks on this online instructional website, in addition to studying theory. Furthermore, FreeCodeCamp features an active discussion group where you may get real-time assistance from professionals and communicate with more experienced coders.
a. Massive online courses available for free
b. Community of active debaters
10. Envato Tuts+: Evato Tuts+ is maybe one of the finest sites to learn to code for beginners. The enormous library of free courses, videos, tutorials, and e-books available on this website sets it apart. You’ll surely be able to experience a Silicon Valley developer salary firsthand with all that information in your pocket.
The information is simple to understand. The user interface is straightforward. There will be no misunderstanding on your end. You may also go at your own pace through all of the courses.
11. GeeksforGeeks: GeeksForGeeks is a favourite go-to-site for free information on a variety of programming languages and other coding-related subjects. It includes well-written, well-considered, and well-explained computer science and programming articles, quizzes, and much more to help users get more experience and improve their coding skills.
The nicest thing about Geek For Geeks is that you can always find helpful content on the topics and concepts you’re looking for. If you search for a certain programming topic, you’ll almost certainly find updated, high-quality blogs with codes.
These codes can be found in a variety of programming languages, including C, C++, Java, Python, and other comparable languages. This website can also be used to gain a better grasp of competitive programming and to participate in various competitions. It also covers the majority of the fundamentals needed for beginner-level developers.
They’ve already gathered the greatest materials for each language and divided them into seven categories, so you simply have to go from top to bottom to get all you need. You’ll also be given assignments to work on to perfect the concepts you’ve learnt.
13. Sololearn: Today, it is a good website or e-Learning opportunity where upcoming programmers can learn code gradually and improve themselves with the necessary skills free of charge.
The learning process of programming with the use of sololearn can be done by Writing out the main code in some minutes after the first lesson must have started. With this, it becomes easy and simple for the learner to achieve his aim in full.
This means that today, this free e-Learning platform offers relevant skills under important topics in software programming and development. Based on its pertinent contents, it has been said that Sololearn has gone beyond a website to a community which is built close to mostly demanded skills in software programming and development.
Today, even though Sololearn is a free website, it has a Pro version perks which requires constant practice to round it off with an ad-free experience.
14. MIT OpenCourseWare: It is a summary of almost all the course contents at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and it is accessible to all learners for free. Today, There are so many graduate and undergraduate courses on computer science and programming languages such as: visualization and graphics, operating systems, engineering and software design, data mining e.t.c. and in MIT, all these are quality courses that have expertise in Computer Science as teachers.
Today, learners on web programming are admonished to start with this free programming courses where they can learn about software development and the fundamentals of programming. They can also learn the basics of some programming languages which are generally in use today such as: Python, Java.e.t.c.with the use of some materials for learning such as: E-books, video lectures, exams, assignments, Self-evaluation.e.t.c.
Although it is an institution of learning, the MIT OpenCourseWare does not issue degrees or certificates after the program.
15. Codewars: Codewars is a free web platform obtained from the collective efforts made by web creators in order to teach various skills in software development and programming to interested learners (though it may not be the best for newbies in programming) and to give their response constructively to questions.
Today, CodeWars content and courses has so many languages and can be regulated by leaders of various web communities and learners can improve in coding by tackling the “kata” or “challenge” (that is the project on programming) together while learning. This is because as he tackles the projects, he gets more higher ranks in programming. While learning with Codewars website, the learner can compare his learning process with that of others and by so doing, he has opportunity to improve.
With the abundance of free programming resources available on the internet, learning to code has never been more accessible. These top 15 websites offer diverse learning experiences for all levels of learners, empowering individuals to master programming skills and stay relevant in the ever-evolving tech world of 2023 and beyond. So, seize the opportunity and embark on your programming journey with these excellent free resources today!