The Fully Funded Humboldt Climate Protection Fellowship in Germany is open to non-European developing countries’ citizens. It enables prospective leaders working practically to implement a research-based proposal in the field of climate protection or climate-related resource conservation during a one-year stay in Germany.
If you are a prospective leader you will do a one-year research-related project in Germany as part of your fellowship; if you are a postdoc, long-term academic research (12-24 months). It should focus on combating climate change, adaptation strategies, preserving ecosystems and biodiversity, or on the sustainable use of the seas and oceans. Sustainability topics relating to natural resources, resource-efficient consumption, or urban development are also welcome.
Fully Funded Humboldt Climate Protection Fellowship In Germany 2024
The eligibility criteria for the Fully Funded Humboldt Climate Protection Fellowship in Germany are stated below:
1. Explore questions in the natural or engineering sciences or address legal, economic, health-related, or societal aspects of climate change
2. A citizen of a non-European developing or transition country (see list of countries, PDF) and has been predominantly living and working there
3. Have initial experience in a leadership role and corresponding leadership skills
4. Have very good knowledge of English and/or German
The benefits of the Fully Funded Humboldt Climate Protection Fellowship in Germany are:
1. A monthly fellowship of €2,170, €2,470, or €2,670 in the program line for prospective leaders – depending on your training and career level
2. A monthly fellowship of €2,670 in the program line for postdoctoral researchers.
3. Individual support during your stay in Germany.
4. Additional financial support for accompanying family members, travel expenses, private health insurance, or a German language course.
5. A three-week introductory event where you can connect with other climate protection fellows, visit businesses, and research institutions, and attend cultural events in Germany.
6. Extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular, to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career.
How to apply
Please submit the necessary application documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
1. Research-based project: Outline the project you have developed yourself and agreed with your intended host prior to applying. Bear in mind that the following criteria are important for selection: a convincing choice of methods; clear focus and feasibility; relevance to the fields of climate protection or climate-relevant resource conservation; feasibility of conducting the project at the chosen host institution; practicability of the communication strategy
2. An extensive statement including confirmation of support from your host in Germany
3. Two letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal, and/or academic background
The online application form contains links where the letters of recommendation and statements can be uploaded. Please forward these links to the relevant individuals as soon as possible. We will send you a confirmation e-mail as soon as we have received all the required documents. If you have any doubts or questions, please contact us by e-mail (info[at]avh. de) before submitting your application. We are happy to help.
I hope you find this article helpful.