Apply For Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award 2023
Since 2013 our Young Journalist Award has celebrated outstanding young talent in the media profession. The award is an opportunity for those brilliant young journalists to demonstrate a wealth of investigative journalism, and, in doing so hold power to account.
The annual competition is organized in partnership with the UK’s Foreign Press Association (FPA) and is presented at their annual awards event in London. The competition enables journalists aged 30 and under, from countries with a Gross National Income (GNI) per capita of less than USD20,000, to send in their best stories.
The entries are scrutinized by the foundation and then by independent, expert, FPA judges. The three finalists are flown to London to attend the gala award night in London, along with a host of other potential award winners and leading figures from the world of journalism.
Table of Content
- About Thomson Foundation
- Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award
- Aim and Benefits of Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award
- Requirements for Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award Qualification
- Interview date, Process, and Venue for Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award
- Application Deadline
- How to Apply
About Thomson Foundation
The Thomson Foundation is a media development not-for-profit organization based in London, United Kingdom but operating worldwide. It was founded in 1962 and was the first charitable foundation with the specific aim of training journalists in developing countries. It celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2012
Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award
- TypeCollege School
- OrganisationThomson Foundation
- Country to study–
- School to study–
- Course to study not specified
- State of Origin
- GenderMen and Women
- Application DeadlineAugust 11, 2023
Aim and Benefits of Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award
The top three finalists will have the honor of being flown to London, where they will attend the glitzy award night alongside potential award winners and luminaries from the world of journalism. It’s an exceptional chance for networking, inspiration, and global exposure.
Requirements for Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award Qualification
- You must be aged 30 or under
- You must hail from a country with a Gross National Income (GNI) per capita of less than $20,000
- Entries can be in any language, but they must be accompanied by a verbatim English-language translation
Interview date, Process, and Venue for Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award
- Each entrant should submit a portfolio of THREE published or broadcast pieces of work produced in the 12 months preceding (prior to) the award deadline for submissions which is midnight GMT on 11th August 2023. The entries can be in any format: print, audio, video, multimedia, or a combination of all four.
- All entrants should be reporting from their home country as defined by the GNI or, if not in their country of origin, from another country fitting the same criteria. Applicants also need to provide an explanation of any collaboration undertaken with colleagues or external organizations on the stories they submit.
- Journalists who enter for the FPA award will need to submit a written statement of no more than 200 words per story giving a summary of the content and any impact it had on public debate in the country of publication or broadcast, should also be submitted.
August 11, 2023
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Thomson Foundation on forms.gle to apply
For more details, visit Thomson Foundation website.
I hope you find this article helpful.