Our thoughts significantly influence our actions, emotions, and overall well-being. Learning to control and guide our thoughts can empower us to lead a more fulfilling and purposeful life. In this article, we will explore ten effective tips that can help you gain control over your thoughts, fostering a positive mindset and enhancing your mental health.
The mind has intrinsic value. While it is unarguably difficult to take charge of one’s thoughts, it is in fact very doable, and that is all that matters. Being able to control one’s mind makes one a better person, for it yields and promotes the right attitude to life.
A person that is able to control his thoughts is on a winning track. The importance of being able to control your thoughts cannot be overemphasized. Apparently, there is a lot of activities going on in one’s life, some good; some bad. Those are a lot to keep the mind busy with the hefty task of evaluating and deciding which part to troll at all times. Life is all about making decisions. Being in charge of your thoughts actually defines your entire life, and helps in making the right decisions and place the right balance at most times. Having established the need to be in charge of one’s thoughts, below are tips on how to control your thoughts;
10 Tips On How To Control Your Thoughts And Master Your Mind
1. Practice intentionality: It is very ordinary for human beings to lose control of themselves due to occurring circumstances, or even without any reason. Human beings are extensively guided by emotions; that is, what they see and what they feel. While this is not a very advisable path to troll due to the risks of mistakes involved in following one’s emotions, it is then most recommended that one should be intentional about his or her thoughts and actions.
This is otherwise known as being mindful. At all times, and whatever the situation may look like, it is best that one should be patient enough to put in the mind effort of observing and evaluating the circumstance, and not to take prompt and unevaluated decisions which most often, are guided by emotions. The rule therefore is “intentionality against emotions”.
2. Ignore the negative thoughts: Negative thoughts can always be identified. In other words, one can always tell when negative thoughts set in. having negative thoughts is absolutely normal and in fact necessary. However, what one does with those negative thoughts is what matters. Most often, people take negative decisions because they were not patient enough to evaluate the consequences. It is trite that all actions have consequences; and it would be ridiculous to expect negative thoughts and actions to yield positive outcome. Putting negative thoughts into action will always yield negative outcome.
The thoughts alone should be dismissed upon arrival; and this is doable when one has taken charge of his thoughts. It must be noted that negative thoughts can be overwhelming which is absolutely not good for one’s mental health. One must therefore stand against those negative thoughts and substitute them with the positive ones. This can become part of you with intentionality and consistency.
3. Positive thoughts: While negative thoughts are advised against, it follows that positive thoughts is the way forward. One who occupies his mind and fills his thoughts with positivity tends to be surrounded by positive outcomes
4. Positive affirmations: Although similar, this must be distinguished from positive thoughts discussed above. Positive affirmations are positive words of encouragement which reminds one of his chances, strength and possibilities. They are not just thoughts; they are words and action words.
5. By averting one’s mind to distractions: Distractions are necessary in one’s life. While being focused is great, placing a balance is most recommended. It is important to take some time off the focus and aver one’s mind to some distracting events. This could of course be leisure activities.
This works best in a scenario when one is disturbed about certain occurrences and finds himself in a situation where he overly worries about what has happened.
6. By limiting exposure to negative things: Psychology refers to such remedies as the avoidance-avoidance technique. Where one is overly bothered by negative concerns, it is a best practice to avoid such occasions.
This helps in training one’s mind to be able to identify the very moment negative thoughts set in, and of course avoid or ignore them. by this art and mastery, one takes charge of the facts that feed or feature in his thoughts.
7. By practising to accept the things you cannot change: One of the best attitudes to life is realism. Realism entails seeing things the way they are without mincing events. Realism is a copping mechanism for many people. The effect is that it trains one’s mind to accept things the way they are.
It trains the mind to attach little or no significance to things that are obviously and practicably beyond control. By accepting, the person has little or nothing to bother about. Accepting what cannot be changed brings peace to the mind and channels one’s thought to only the things that he has power to influence and effect changes on. Worrying over such circumstances rather increases problems than solve them.
8. Setting goals: It was earlier stated that focus must be met with distractions. In other words, one should entertain reasonable degree of distractions amidst his goals. Such distractions are positive. It is a way of giving nature an adequate balance. This does not in any way defeat the need to set goals and keep up to the tasks.
Setting goals, on its own path, does in fact help is focusing the mind on the goals that have been set. It trains one’s thought to focus on things that are relevant in achieving the goals. This in turn, helps one to ignore such negative distractions or thoughts which may occupy one’s mind, alter is thoughts and affect his productivity.
9. Self-care therapy: The need for self-care is important in controlling one’s thoughts. One should invest in self-care activities, for this contributes to defining one’s personality and attitude to life. One who is not properly cared for, do have antagonizing attitude to life. The person sees everything as being against him.
One must note that you are in the best position to take care of yourself. By those necessary acts of self-care, you also dictate and to prescribe to people how best to treat you. Self-care activities have a way of influencing one’s perception and thought process.
10. Consult experts: Therapists are undoubtedly very instrumental in shaping one’s mind. Engaging the services of a therapist, who is skilled in training the mind, will go a long way in this regard.
It is well acknowledged that there is need for one to be in charge of his thought process; otherwise, one’s state of mind would be an upheaval. And when one is not in charge of his thought process, it tends to implicate in, and affect the person’s life negatively, in its entirety. Imagine a society where people are thoughtless because the inhabitants lack the discipline and the information necessary in training the thought process. With the recommendations given above, one is guaranteed of being in control of his thoughts, which in turn yields positive outcomes.