Application is currently ongoing for 2018 Women for Africa Foundation Research Fellowships in Spain. It is a six month Visiting Science by Women programme Fellowship to be taken at various Centers in Spain.
This program, promoted by the Women for Africa Foundation, aims to promote the transfer of knowledge, exchange and training of African women undergraduate and graduate students through scholarships in Spanish universities that collaborate in this initiative.
Thanks to these scholarships, the selected students can complement their university education in our country, and then invest what has been learned to benefit their communities, thus contributing to the progress of African societies.
The Women for Africa Foundation is a private entity founded in 2012 by former vice president of the Government of Spain, MarÃa Teresa FernÃ¡ndez de la Vega, with the aim of contributing to the development of Africa through its women.
Since then, the Foundation has launched a dozen projects in the areas of education, economic development, health, and knowledge and women empowerment.
In order to be eligible Individual must have solid working knowledge of English.
Women for Africa Foundation Fellowship
The scholarships are funded by the universities participating in the program ”“ all of them, members of the Conference of Rectors of Spanish Universities (CRUE)
LEVEL/FIELD OF STUDY:
This is a six-month visiting senior research fellowship for 14 experienced African women researchers.
Study Subject: The preferred areas of research include:
- Health and Bio-medicine
- Energy, Water and Climate Change
- Agriculture and Food Safety
- Mathematics, Information and Communication Technologies
- Economic Science
- Physics and Materials Sciences
Scholarship can be taken in Scholarship can be taken at the following centers in Spain. Each centre will host 1 researcher.
Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO), Barcelona Graduate School of Economics (GSE), Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), Vall d´Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR), Institute for Neuroscience (IN), Kronikgune Research Center, Biocruces Bizkaia (BC), DeustoTech, Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO), Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII), Donostia International Physics Center, Material Physics Center ”“ Centro de FÃsica de Materiales (MPC-CFM), Repsol, Principe Felipe Research Center (CIPF).
These fellowships are available for African Women:
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- In general, the duration of the research stays will be six continuous months. Nevertheless, depending on personal and professional needs, and with approval of the host research center, the planned research may be split in two stays within two years after the fellowship has been awarded. Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution
- Living allowance of 2.400 Euros gross per month to cover accommodation, personal expense and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
Beneficiaries must devote themselves entirely to research at the assigned research centre and may not be beneficiaries of any other fellowship, grant, stipend or regular income during their research stay.
Beneficiaries might be asked to formalise their relationship with the research centre in writing. In compliance with the local laws, the
Woman for Africa Foundation or the research centre (as the case may be) will, if so required in each particular circumstance by the tax and/or social security regime, retain or withhold the compulsory amounts from the living allowances.
Women for Africa Foundation, in collaboration with the research centre, will help beneficiaries with the compulsory formalities in order to obtain the visa with Spanish Embassies and Consulates.
The Women for Africa Foundation strongly discourages final beneficiaries to take along their families, since we cannot assure any financial, logistic or administrative support for families.
Eligibility For The Women Fellowship
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Being a woman
- Nationality of an African country.
- PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience
- Contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience
- Solid working knowledge of English
- Proven experience leading a research group
Beneficiaries of first, second and third edition are not eligible. Candidates must have already identified research groups in the host centres to confirm that their proposed research can be carried out in collaboration with those research groups and, when needed, in their laboratories.
How To Apply For Women for Africa Foundation Fellowship in Spain
Only applications submitted in English via the Science by Women micro site at www.mujeresporafrica.es will be accepted. They must include the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae
- Fully filled form
- Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages)
FELLOWSHIP DEADLINE: September 30, 2018
Recommended: Hot scholarships in Nigeria today