In this article, I will share 20 most common abbreviations people use wrongly and their real meaning. Common abbreviations can be surprisingly tricky.
Sometimes their meaning changes depending on who is using or reading the abbreviation.
AKA: AKA means, “Also known as” and refers to an alias or second name a person, place, or thing might have.
FYI: In reality, it just means “For your information.” Offices use this one a little too much.
ETA: ETA stands for, “Estimated Time of Arrival” and is usually used in travel settings like airport terminals or when someone really wants something.
BRB: BRB is a pretty common abbreviation used in texting for “Be Right Back”.
LOL: we all know it stands for “Laugh Out Loud.”
JK JK is about as common as LOL but one Redditor thought it just meant “joke.”
FAQ: FAQ stands for “Frequently Asked Questions”
Etc: Etc. simply means, “And Other Similar Things” and is usually used when listing things out in a sentence.
EOM: stands for “End of Message” .
GLHF: is a texting abbreviation for “Good luck, have fun” .
- Tl;DR: It literally means, “Too Long; Didn’t Read.
AWOL: AWOL is a military abbreviation that means, “Absent without leave.”
- AD: AD means, “anno Domini” which is Latin for “The Year of Our Lord.” Essentially, anytime after the birth of Christ.
- BTW: BTW is a texting abbreviation meaning, “By the way.”
- PIN: PIN stands for “Personal Identification Number” which many will say “PIN Number.” However, that’s essentially just saying, “Personal Identification Number Number.” So, just say PIN.
MYOB: MYOB is internet slang for “Mind Your Own Business.”
- S.O: S.O simply stands for “Significant Other” like a spouse or a partner.
- ATM: Depending on the context of a conversation ATM can mean different things. In it’s most common form, ATM stands for “Automated Teller Machine.” So when someone says “ATM Machine” they are literally saying “Automated Teller Machine Machine”. However, ATM is also an acronym for “At the moment” and is used during a chat conversation or e-mail.
TMI: When someone tells you way too much detail about something, you’d reply, “TMI.” It means, “Too Much Information.”
- NSFW: The internet has pioneered the use of NSFW due to many people at work browsing the internet. As a way to help people not get fired, they tag something with NSFW. NSFW stands for “Not Safe For Work.” However, sometimes people use it more broadly as anything offensive, vulgar, or inappropriate.
See Also: Life changing quotes to check out
Feel free to share with your friends and don’t fail to comment below. Best Regards!
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?
- SEARCH FLASH LEARNERS
- COMPLETE JAMB GUIDE
- ABOUT BECE, WAEC AND NECO
- VACANCIES AND JOBS GUIDE
- LATEST NIGERIA SCHOOL NEWS
- ACADEMIC AND CAREER GUIDE
- SCHOLARSHIPS AND INTERNSHIPS
- SPECIAL TOPICS FOR PARENTS
- Jamb Series Part 16: Jamb WhatsApp Group - Sep 20, 2020
- Jamb Series Part 47: Candidates Who Applied To Your School - Sep 19, 2020
- Jamb Series Part 49: Things You Can Do With Jamb Profile - Sep 18, 2020