If you have ever wondered about how to get the Jamb use of English syllabus and hot topics to read for Jamb 2020 then you are in the right place and at the right time.
This post is to meet the demand of numerous Jamb candidates who bombard the internet daily with questions on Jamb Use of English like:
- Jamb English syllabus 2020
- How do I get Jamb Use of English Syllabus?
- What Topics Should I read to pass Jamb Use of English questions?
- What are the top Use of English topics Jamb always set/ask?
- How does Jamb Use of English questions look like?
- How will Jamb questions look like in the next Jamb?
Jamb Use of English Syllabus And Topics For 2020/2021
This topic covers all update on Jamb use of English syllabus. It will guide you on how and where Jamb sets their questions from. It is divided into sections, topics and what to know in each topic.
In this article, the very important/top Jamb use of English questions and topics to read are shown. Take note of them and as well practice them for your Joint Admission and Matriculation Board Examination.
1. Comprehension/Summary Topics:
(i) Each of the three passages to be set (one will be a cloze test) should reflect various disciplines and be about 200 words long.
(ii) Questions on the passages will test the following:
(a) Comprehension of the whole or part of each passage.
(b) Comprehension of words, phrases, clauses, sentences, figures of speech and idioms as used in the passages.
(c) Coherence and logical reasoning (deductions, inferences, etc).
(d) Novels to be Read:
(i.) UTME Candidates: “Sweet Sixteen”
(ii.) DE Candidates: The Last Days at Forcados High School, A. H. Mohammed.
(e) Synthesis of ideas from the passages.
RECOMMENDED A. BLAST 2020 POST UTME WITH FLASHLEARNERS
Candidates should be able to:
i. identify main points/topic sentences in passages;
ii. determine implied meaning;
iii. identify the grammatical functions of words, phrases, clauses and figurative/idiomatic expressions;
iv. deduce or infer the writer’s intentions including mood, attitude to the subject matter and opinion.
What Does Synthesis of Ideas Mean?
By synthesis of ideas is meant the art of combining distinct or separate pieces of information to form a complex whole, that is, the ability to make generalizations from specific ideas mentioned in the passages. Such generalizations involve identifying the mood or tone of the writer, his attitude to the subject matter, his point of view, etc. In this regard, synthesis is a higher-level skill than summary.
2. Lexis and Structure Topics
(d) clause and sentence patterns
(e) word classes and their functions
(f) mood, tense, aspect, number,
agreement/concord, degree (positive,
comparative and superlative) and question
(g) punctuation and spelling
(h) ordinary usage, figurative usage and idiomatic usage are to be tested.
Idioms to be tested shall be those that are formal and expressed in standard British English.
Candidates should be able to:
i. identify words and expressions in their ordinary,
figurative and idiomatic contexts;
ii. determine similar and opposite meaning of words;
iii. differentiate between correct and incorrect
punctuation and spelling;
iv. identify various grammatical patterns in use;
v. interpret information conveyed in sentences.
Where Jamb get their Idioms from?
They are idioms you are familiar with. Jamb repeats past questions. You may want to read why you should use jamb past questions or how to score 350+ in Jamb with past questions. Idioms to be tested will be those expressed in standard British English (i.e those with universal acceptability)
2.2 Oral Forms
(a) Vowels (monophthongs and diphthongs
(b) Consonants (including clusters)
(c) Rhymes (homophones)
(d) Stress (word, sentence and emphatic)
RECOMMENDED TEXTBOOKS FOR ENGLISH
- Attah, M. O. (2013) Practice in Spoken English for Intermediate and Advanced Learners, Maiduguri: University of Maiduguri Press
- Bamgbose, A. (2002) English Lexis and Structure for Senior Secondary Schools and colleges (Revised Edition), Ibadan: Heinemann
- Banjo, A. et al (2004) New Oxford Secondary English Course Book Six for Senior Secondary Schools, Ibadan: UP Plc.
- Caesar, O. J. (2003) Essential Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Lagos: Tonad Publishers Limited
- Daniel Jones (2011) Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Egbe, D. I (1996) Mastering English Usage and Communication Skills, Lagos: Tisons
- Elugbe, B. (2000) Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Ibadan: Heinemann
- Grant, N. J. H, Nnamonu, S. Jowitt, D. (1998) Senior English Project 3, (New Edition) Harlow: Longman
- Idowu, O. O, Sogbeson, T. S, Adofo, A. K. Burgess, D. F and Burgess, L. J. (1998) Round-up English: A Complete Guide, Lagos: Longman
- Idris, U. (2001) Oral English at Your Fingertips for Schools and Colleges, Lagos, M. Youngbrain Publishers
- Igiligi, E. C. and Ogenyi, S. O. (2010) Grammar and Composition in the G.S.M. Age, Enugu: Joe Hills Production Services
- Jauro, L. B. (2013) Oral English for Schools and Colleges: A teaching and Learning Approach, Yola: Paraclete Publishers.
- Nnamonu, S. and Jowitt, D. (1989) Common Errors in English, Lagos: Longman
- Obinna, M. F. (2001) University Matriculation Use of English,(Fourth Edition) Port Harcourt: Sunray Books Limited
- Ogunsanwo, O. Duruaku, A. B.C, Ezechukwu, J and Nwachukwu, U. I (2005) Countdown English Language, (Revised Edition), Ibadan: Evans
- Olatoye, S. (2006) The Silent Teacher, Ado-Ekiti: Segun and Sons Enterprises
- Oluikpe, B. O. A, nnaemeka, B. A, Obah, T. Y, Otagburuagu, E. J. Onuigbo, S. and Ogbonna, E. A. (1998) Intensive English for Senior Secondary School 3, Onitsha: Africana – FIRST Publisher.
- Tomori, S. H. O (2000) Objective Tests for School Certificate English: Practice in Lexis, Structure and Idiom (Reprinted Edition), Ibadan: Heinemann
- Ukwuegbu, C, Okoro, O., Idris, A. U., Okebukola, F. O. and Owokade, C. O. (2002) Catch-up English for SSCE/UME, Ibadan: Heinemann.
RECOMMENDED A. JAMB, POST UTME AND WAEC APP B. SSCE, JAMB AND BLOGGING CLASS C. GET MY LATEST UPDATES FOR FREE
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT? A. I WANT TO SEARCH B. COMPLETE JAMB GUIDE C. ALL ABOUT WAEC AND NECO D. VACANCIES AND RECRUITMENT E. LATEST NIGERIA SCHOOL NEWS F. ACADEMIC AND CAREER GUIDE G. SCHOLARSHIPS AND INTERNSHIPS
TRENDING JAMB GUIDE
- When 2020 UNILAG Direct Entry (DE) Form Will Be Out - Mar 29, 2020
- When UNILAG 2020 Post UTME Form Will Be Out - Mar 29, 2020
- Latest Update On UNILAG 2020 Post UTME Form And Screening - Mar 29, 2020