Separation Of Mixture And Purification of Chemical Substances: Mixtures contain two or more elements physically combined and they can be separated.
You may click here to watch all my academic videos or continue reading separation of Mixtures. According to Jamb Syllabus, Candidates should be able to: distinguish between pure and impure substances;
ii) use boiling and melting points as criteria for the purity of chemical substances;
(iii) distinguish between elements, compounds and mixture;
(iv) differentiate between chemical and physical changes;
(v) identify the properties of the components of a mixture;
(vi) specify the principle involved in each separation method.
Separation Of Mixtures And Purification Of Chemical Substances
The video below covers everything Jamb expects you to know if Separation of Mixtures And Purification of Chemical Substances:
Major Highlights in The video:
1. Chemistry is the study of the composition, properties and uses of matter
2. Matter is anything that has mass and occupies space.
3. A substance is a form of matter that has a definite composition and distinct properties.
4. Boiling point is the temperature at which the saturated vapour pressure of a liquid equals the atmospheric pressure.
5. Melting point is the temperature at whch the constituent particles of a solid vibrate vigorously and acquire energy which makes them slide over one another.
6. A pure elemental substance should contain only one type of atom (the element) and be homogeneous throughout the sample; otherwise, it’s impure.
7. Physical change is a change in which no new substance is formed While chemical change is one in which new substances are formed.
8. A pure substance has a definite boiling point and a very sharp melting point.
9. Examples of Separation Processes are Evaporation, simple and fractional distillation, sublimation, filtration, chromatography, crystallisation.
10 A homogenous mixture is one whose composition is uniform while a heterogeneous mixture is one whose composition is not uniform.
Hope you enjoyed the video? Feel free to tell me how you feel.
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?