Variation Under Jamb Mathematics: Candidates should be able to:
ii. solve problems on percentage increase and decrease in variation.
A variable is simply a quantity that may change in value. A variable might be the the air temperature each day, or the exam marks given to a class of school children. Watch the Video and tell me how you feel.
Joint Variation is where more than two variables are related directly. Partial Variation, where two variables are related by a formula, such as the formula for a straight line (with a non-zero y-intercept).
Highlights From The Video
1. In Mathematics, we usually deal with two types of quantities-Variable quantities (or variables) and Constant quantities (or constants).
2. Constants are quantities whose values do not change.
3. In a variation if variables change proportionately it is called direct variation.
4. For inverse variation, the increase in one quantity results to decrease in the other.
5. Two variable quantities are proportional if one is always obtainable from the other by multiplying by a constant value.
Calculations In Jamb Mathematics Variation
Checkout The Calculation questions commonly asked by Jamb in Variation
E.g… The length l of a simple pendulum varies directly as the square of it’s period T. If a pendulum with period 4 sec is 64cm long, find the length of a pendulum which is 9 sec.
A. 36cm B. 144cm C. 324cm D. 96cm
Let me know how you feel via the comment box and don’t fail to share with your friends.