How do I solve Jamb mathematics without a scientific calculator since most of the questions require the use of a scientific calculator? This question shall be fully addressed in this article.
Like you may know, Jamb doesn’t allow the use of a scientific calculator. However, you will be given a basic calculator. This calculator is generally referred to as Jamb calculator.
The major drawbacks of the Jamb calculator in solving maths are as follows:
- It doesn’t have trigonometric functions like sine, cos and tan.
- It doesn’t have logarithmic and exponential functions.
- There are no integral and different functions in Jamb calculator.
- You cannot use it to solve advance surds.
- It is a single line calculator.
Now, you may be wondering how to solve the hot jamb topics above without the use of a powerful calculator. Let me show you the various ways to solve Jamb mathematics without the use of scientific calculator…
How To Solve Jamb 2021 Trig Ratios Without Calculator
The only trig ratios that Jamb set in UTME examination are special angles. Special angles usually have standard values that you should know. You don’t need a calculator to attempt them.
For example, if you are required to find the value of Sin90° in Jamb, you don’t need to punch your calculator. Sin90° is a standard trigonometric function with standard answer. Simply, Sin90° = 1.
Simply, Sin90° = 1.
How To Solve Jamb Special Angles:
- sin 45° = cos 45° = (ˆš2)/2tan 45° = 1
- sin 30° = ½, sin 60° = (ˆš3)/2cos 30° = (ˆš3)/2, cos 60° = ½tan 30° = (ˆš3)/3, tan 60° = ˆš3
- For angle A = 0, 30° 45° 60° 90° ”” or 0, Ï€/6, Ï€/4, Ï€/3, Ï€/2 ””sin A = ˆš0/2, ˆš1/2, ˆš2/2, ˆš3/2, ˆš4/2cos A = ˆš4/2, ˆš3/2, ˆš2/2, ˆš1/2, ˆš0/2tan A = 0, ˆš3/3, 1, ˆš3, undefined
How To Solve Jamb Logarithm Without Calculator
Jamb usually gives you the standard log values to use. All you need to do is simplify the expression and then substitute the standard logarithm values given.
The standard values are usually given after the questions. You would see something like; Take log10 = 1 and log15 = 1.1760912590556811. Hope you understand?
Properties of Logarithms
- loga 1 = 0 because a0 = 1
- No matter what the base is, as long as it is legal, the log of 1 is always 0. That’s because logarithmic curves always pass through (1,0)
- loga a = 1 because a1 = a
- Any value raised to the first power is that same value.
- loga ax = x
- The log base a of x and a to the x power are inverse functions. Whenever inverse functions are applied to each other, they inverse out, and you’re left with the argument, in this case, x.
- loga x = loga y implies that x = y
- If two logs with the same base are equal, then the arguments must be equal.
- loga x = logb x implies that a = b
- If two logarithms with the same argument are equal, then the bases must be equal.
How To Solve Differentiation And Integration In Jamb Mathematics
Generally, Jamb differentiation and integration questions don’t require the use of calculator. You would be given questions as simple as ABC. E.g Integrate SinÎ˜. The calculus part of jamb maths is usually fun to solve.
Conclusion: It is true that Jamb doesn’t give out scientific calculator to candidates. However, you got all it takes to attempt all Jamb maths without Big calculators. The basic calculator given by Jamb is enough for you to score very high in Jamb 2021 mathematics.
See Also: How to pass Jamb once and for all
Question for You: Do you still remember the laws of indices?