I explained earlier that iPage offered me free domain and cheap hosting to start flashlearners in 2016. Today, I will take you through Setting Up Domain, Hosting, And General WordPress Tutorial Using iPage.com.
iPage focus is not only on web hosting but on our people – customers and employees, alike. The article only talk about iPage but covers the following areas:
These are the seven major topics we shall cover today. I will try to make today’s episode as interesting as possible and ultimately ensure you get sufficient information to start your blog right away.
NOTE: To provide you with a variety of choices, a complete and accurate guide, as well as expose you to different reviews, I will be linking to other blogs.
What next? Take a glass of chilled water, tighten your seatbelt and let’s begin today’s journey…
How To Choose And Register Domain With iPage
Do you have Up to $35 or #15,000 in your account? Follow me let me bring your dream blog to reality.
FROM EPISODE 3: Quality Of A Good And Perfect Domain Name:
- Your domain name should be short.
- It should be easy to recall, e.g flashlearners.com, cnn.com.
- It is advisable you use a top level domain such as .com and .org.
- It should be relevant to your bog niche, e.g livescores.com and goal.com.
- Your domain name should be easy to write.
- It should be unique.
- Creating a domain that exactly matches your topic is great for SEO (Exact match domain).
- Avoid hyphens!
- Use the name you know that people would like.
2. STEP 2: The Sign-up page will open. Simply click on sign up.
3. STEP 3: A new page will open. You either have the choice to register a new domain or use your existing domain. It is free to register a new domain and also free to use your existing domain.
4. STEP 4: Enter your proposed domain name (lifeisveryhard.com) and check it’s availability. Keep on trying different combination of names to get available one.
4. STEP 5: Enter Your Billing Information.
Contact Info: Enter Your real name, surname, real email address, phone number, street address and city.
What to put in State/Province? Click on none/international on the dropdown.
Zip Code? If you don’t know your zip code or are confused, use 300283. It will work.
Payment Information: Enter your card number (About 16 digits at the front of your MasterCard) and the expiry date specified on your card.
Card Security Code? This is the three-digit at the back of your ATM Card. Check and fill it in the box.
Go Plan? Click on how many years you want to host (Choose 1 year for about $35).
Domain privacy costs $9.99/year. Un-tick if you don’t have enough money.
Website Essentials: Untick all the website essentials.
CHECKOUT: At the bottom of the page, click on checkout and make sure that the total amount specified is only for hosting. Deactivate other services.
That’s all for registering a domain name and iPage hosting optin.
VERIFYING YOUR DOMAIN: An email will be sent to you to verify your domain. All you need to do is follow the verification link sent to you and you will be home and dry.
How To Install WordPress On Ipage Hosting
Now, you have a domain and have paid for hosting. You need to install a builder or blogging platform (WordPress in this case) and set up your blog so that if anyone types your domain name, a page representing your brand would open. It’s time to make your blog live…..
Doing this, you should be careful so as to avoid mistakes that would make Google hate you. and your blog.
How do I install WordPress on Ipage? Follow the steps below to install WordPress from iPage control panel… And If you feel the process is too long or difficult, you can consult experts to help you out. If you have enough cash, then reach me using this contact page.
STEP 1: LOG IN to you iPage account with the username/email and password you chose while creating your hosting account.
STEP 2: On Ipage Control Panel, Click On MOJO MARKETPLACE.
STEP 3: On the Mojo Market Place page, Click on One Click Installs and then click on WordPress…
STEP 4: Select your domain and leave the installation directory blank (Since it is your first domain). If you have WordPress already installed in the root directory, then don’t install on the root again. Generally, leave it blank…
STEP 5: Enter your details as shown in the screenshots below. The details I filled here are just examples (Don’t think you have hacked me).
STEP 6: Click on next and your WordPress will begin installing. How long does it take to install WordPress? It doesn’t take long at all.
Now, you are done and your domain will be on iPage name servers. Very simple WordPress tutorial right?
WordPress TUTORIAL For BEGINNERS
Now that you have installed WordPress on iPage, enter the URL of your blog e.g mynewblogname.com, it will open.
You will now have to enter thenameofyournewblog.com/wp-admin/ and then log in to your dashboard. After you have logged in, there is a certain WordPress tutorial you need as a beginner to be able to run a successful and SEO friendly blog.
You will have to create pages, menus, install and uninstall plugins, set-up categories, set-up SEO, write your first post, enter your blog name and tagline, etc… Go through the links below one after the other for the complete guide:
- OnPage SEO and creating great content
- Plugins you must use on your blog.
- WordPress blogging mistakes to avoid
- How to troubleshoot common WordPress errors.
- The 15 best image optimization plugins
- How to use h1, h2, h3 and h4 tags in your new blog.
- 15 Mistakes to avoid as a beginner
- 7 mistakes that will make Google hate you.
- How to get AdSense approval with your new blog
I will teach you every other thing you need to know about WordPress As Time Goes On.
Ask your questions via the comment box and I will reply you ASAP. Hope you enjoyed today’s class? Start your blog now so that you will be able to follow my future guide on how to run an SEO friendly blog.
Other Ways Flash Learners Can Boost Your Academic Performance Subjects: Learn Mathematics, English, Chemistry, Physics, Art And Social Science Subjects. Exams: Free Classes For Ncee, Bece, Waec, Neco, Jamb, Post Utme, Ijmb and ICAN.
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?