Setting Up Your Domain, Hosting, And General WordPress Tutorial.
Once again, welcome to the fourth Episode of my blogging and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tutorial. Hope you enjoyed the first to the third episodes? I am sure you did. Today, I present you with another life-changing blogging tutorial. Stay tuned…..
Before I embark on my procedures, I will like to emphasise the fact that the first three episodes are prerequisites for this promising topic. If you have not been following us, then quickly use any of the following links to access the previous episodes you missed.
- The Vision And General Framework (Episode 1)
- Introduction To Blogging, SEO And How I Started (Episode 2)
- Niche, Domain, SEO, Hosting And WordPress (Episode 3)
Great Job so far, right? More amazing topics loading…
Now, you may be wondering, what does this Episode bring to the table and how is it different from the other episodes released so far? This episode actually changes the price of garri in the market and you should be able to learn the following at the end of this tutorial:
- Top 10 hosting companies
- Why I choose ipage and reasons you should do the same.
- Registering domain name with ipage.
- Paying for ipage hosting with your MasterCard.
- Installing WordPress on Ipage hosting.
- General WordPress tutorial.
- WordPress Tips
These are the seven major topics we shall cover today. I will try to make today’s episode as interesting as possible and ultimately ensure you get sufficient information to start your blog right away.
RECOMMENDED SCIENCE, SOCIAL SCIENCE AND ART VIDEOS
NOTE: To provide you with a variety of choices, a complete and accurate guide, as well as expose you to different reviews, I will be linking to other blogs.
What next? Take a glass of chilled water, tighten your seatbelt and let’s begin today’s famous journey…
Top 10 Best Hosting Services And How To Sign Up Now
In my previous episode, I explained the meaning of hosting and the common hosting companies you will find around.
Now you may be wondering, can’t I just host with any hosting service provider around; what difference does it make? It makes a lot of difference.
Before you finally settle down for a hosting, certain factor like speed, price, uptime, support, and bandwidth matters. See episode three here for more details about bandwidth and uptime…
Just like we have world best players, best universities in the world, the highest paid actors and actresses, the best laptops in the world, the most beautiful cities, and so on, so also we have the best hosting. These hosting provides you with the basic need of your blog.
The Best Hosting: Most times, the word “best” is relative. What is best for you may not be the best for me. To some Ronaldo is better than Messi, while others believe that Messi is far better then Ronaldo. It’s a matter of choice.
According to hostingadvice.com, the best hosting service for the year 2017/18 are:
You may be asking, how do I know more about the hosting services above, how do I sign up and what are the prices? You asked a very good question.
Have you gone through the detailed review of the hosting services using the link above? If so, let me know how you feel using the comment box.
Why I Chose Ipage And Why You Should
Having gone through the different hosting services above, you may be confused; which hosting should I go with as a beginner?
During my early days, I was able to stumble upon ipage after diachronic and synchronic research. I found other better hosting services but I chose ipage for the reasons I explained in episode two.
I still use ipage hosting (as at the time of writing this article) and I have not really found a very good reason to leave them.
The following are the reasons why I chose ipage and why I think you should use their hosting service for a start. Ipage is very cheap for a start $1.99 per month (less than #700) plus free domain and fast support. I did more on ipage review in the last episode and you may want to see it here.
How To Choose And Register Your Domain Name With Ipage
Do you have Up to $35 or #15,000 in your account? Follow me let me bring your dream blog to reality.
FROM EPISODE 3: Quality Of A Good And Perfect Domain Name:
- Your domain name should be short.
- It should be easy to recall, e.g flashlearners.com, cnn.com.
- It is advisable you use a top level domain such as .com and .org.
- It should be relevant to your bog niche, e.g livescores.com and goal.com.
- Your domain name should be easy to write.
- It should be unique.
- Creating a domain that exactly matches your topic is great for SEO (Exact match domain).
- Avoid hyphens!
- Use the name you know that people would like.
Are you ready? let’s begin:
2. STEP 2: The Sign up page will open. Simply click on sign up.
3. STEP 3: A new page will open. You either have the choice to register a new domain or use your existing domain. It is free to register a new domain and also free to use your existing domain.
4. STEP 4: Enter your proposed domain name (lifeisveryhard.com) and check it’s availability. Keep on trying different combination of names to get available one.
4. STEP 5: Enter Your Billing Information.
Contact Info: Enter Your real name, surname, real email address, phone number, street address and city.
What to put in State/Province? Click on none/international on the drop down.
Zip Code? If you don’t know your zip code or are confused, use 300283. It will work.
Payment Information: Enter you card number (About 16 digits at the front of your mastercard) and the expiry date specified on your card.
Card Security Code? This is the three digit at the back of your ATM Card. Check and fill it in the box.
Go Plan? Click on how many years you want to host (Choose 1 year for about $35).
Domain privacy costs $9.99/year. Un-tick if you don’t have enough money.
Website Essentials: Untick all the website essentials.
CHECKOUT: At the bottom of the page, click on checkout and make sure that the total amount specified is only for hosting. Deactivate other services.
That’s all for registering domain name and ipage hosting optin.
VERIFYING YOUR DOMAIN: An email will be sent to you to verify your domain. All you need to do is follow the verification link sent to you and you will be home and dry.
How To Install WordPress On Ipage Hosting
Now, you have domain name and have paid for hosting. You need to install a builder or blogging platform (WordPress in this case) and set up your blog so that if anyone types your domain name, a page representing your brand would open. It’s time to make your blog live…..
Doing this, you should be careful so as to avoid mistakes that would make Google hate you. and your blog.
How do I intall WordPress on Ipage? Follow the steps below to install WordPress from ipage control panel…
STEP 1: LOG IN to you ipage account with the username/email and password you chose while creating your hosting account.
STEP 2: On Ipage Control Panel, Click On MOJO MARKETPLACE.
STEP 3: On the Mojo Market Place page, Click on One Click Installs and then click on WordPress…
STEP 4: Select your domain and leave the installation directory blank (Since it is your first domain). If you have wordpress already installed in the root directory, then don’t install on the root again. Generally, leave it blank…
STEP 5: Enter your details as shown in the screenshots below. The details I filled here are just examples (Don’t think you have hacked me).
STEP 6: Click on next and your WordPress will begin installing. How long does it take to install wordpress? It doesn’t take long at all.
Now, you are done and your domain will be on ipage name servers. Very simple wordpress tutorial right?
If you feel the process is too long or difficult, you can consult experts to help you out. If you have enough cash, then reach me using the contact form to help you out.
Generally, I feel the process is very easy and sstraightforward
GENERAL WORDPRESS TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS
Now that you have installed wordpress on ipage, enter the url of your blog e.g mynewblogname.com, it will open.
You will now have to enter thenameofyournewblog.com/wp-admin/ and then log in to your dashboard. After you have logged in, there are certain wordpress tutorial you need as a beginner to be able to run a successful and SEO friendly blog.
You will have to create pages, menus, install and uninstall plugins, set-up categories, set-up seo, write your first post, enter your blog name and tagline, etc… Go through the links below one after the other for the complete guide:
- Plugins, how they work and how to install a plugin.
- 10 things to do after installing wordpress
- Creating categories, pages and posts in wordpress.
- 24 must have plugins
- How to troubleshoot common wordpress errors.
- The 15 best image optimization plugins
- How to use h1, h2, h3 and h4 tags in your new blog.
- 15 Mistakes to avoid as a beginner
- 7 mistakes that will make Google hate you.
- How to get adsense approval with your new blog
I will teach you every other thing you need to know about WordPress As Time Goes On.
12 Important Points To Note While Using WordPress:
- Don’t install too many plugins.
- Don’t install two plugins that performs similar fuctions.
- You need to create about page that speaks of what your blog is about.
- Create a contact page so that people can reach you.
- Note differences between posts and pages.
- Go through your wordpress admin and play with some things.
- Under appearance, click on widgets to add sidebars.
- Always contact support when you are facing issue, e.g ipage live chat.
Display Excerpt (Post Summary) on Home and Archive Pages
- Goto Appearance-themes to setup your theme.
- Goto appearance-themes-add new to add new theme from wordpress directory… You can also upload downloaded theme from your computer
- Go through different settings but don’t get yourself into trouble.
Note: You may not understand some of the points above, with time you would.
I think that’s enough for now. Ask your questions via the comment box and I will reply you ASAP.
Hope you enjoyed today’s class? Start your blog now so that you will be able to follow my future guide on how to run an SEO friendly blog.
EPISODE 5 TITLE: OnPage SEO And How To Create A High Quality Content
”¦”¦. Best Regards!”¦”¦”¦.
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?